Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Always building...




Living in Korea as a foreigner, is a little like living in an ants nest:


  1. There seem to be millions of Koreans everywhere you look.
  2. They are very hard workers.
  3. They eat some food items that I wouldn't even consider as, well, food.
  4. They are always building things.



When I came to Korea first, someone told me that Koreans love to tear things down and then build them again. Especially being a country that has experienced a relatively recent economic boom, I could understand how that would be the case. I also thought, that with the recession that's caused Koreans --as well as the rest of the world-- to tighten their belts a little, that it would stop for a little while, or at least slow down. Little did I know.



There is a popular joke that in Newfoundland we have four seasons:

  1. Almost Winter
  2. Winter
  3. Still Winter
  4. Construction

Although Koreans would argue that Korea has four distinct seasons, I would disagree. There is only one: Construction. It just keeps going and going.


Everywhere I go outside I see construction, or at the very least people tearing up and laying down new tile sidewalks. It's an epidemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter